Battery Granger at Fort Hancock, Gateway National Recreation Area at Sandy Hook, N.J., May 13, 2021. The Battery comprised of two 10-inch counterweight disappearing guns, part of the Endicott System, which was constructed from 1890-1910. The System was created to attack enemy warships from earth-covered concrete fortifications. Endicott weaponry consisted of disappearing cannons, mortars, rapid fire guns, submarine nets, underwater mines, and searchlights. The System, which was part of the Harbor Defenses of New York Military Reservation, was continuously upgraded until the end of World War II. Construction on the original Fort at Sandy Hook was started in 1859, but was never finished. In 1874, the Army established the Sandy Hook Proving Ground – the Army’s first Proving Ground – where the Army’s Ordnance Department tested new weapons and ammunition. In 1895, it was renamed Fort Hancock. The Fort was decommissioned on Dec. 31, 1974. (New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs photo by Mark C. Olsen)
Date Taken: | 05.13.2021 |
Date Posted: | 06.10.2021 08:47 |
Photo ID: | 6685246 |
VIRIN: | 210513-Z-AL508-2035 |
Resolution: | 5472x3648 |
Size: | 5.92 MB |
Location: | SANDY HOOK, NEW JERSEY, US |
Web Views: | 113 |
Downloads: | 5 |
This work, Fort Hancock and Sandy Hook Proving Ground [Image 12 of 12], by Mark Olsen, identified by DVIDS, must comply with the restrictions shown on https://www.dvidshub.net/about/copyright.